In this blog, I’m going to show you how to create well sticks as a layer in your map chart visualization. The only table that you will need are your well headers that has both surface and bottom hole locations.
First, import your well header table into Spotfire:
- Create a location table by cloning your original table.
- Create a transformation where I exclude unnecessary columns from the well sticks table.
- Now we need to duplicate this table so that we can establish the connections between surface and bottom hole coordinates. First Insert > Rows, then reselect the Well Header again with columns excluded.
- Match all possible columns.
- Then this is the most important step, we need to differentiate between the surface data and the bottom hole data.
- Now I’ve got a column that shows surface and bottom holes as different rows.
- Create a new Map visualization and add the new Well Sticks table as a marker layer.
- Almost there! Now you need to set up your calculated expression in the positioning tab of the layer.
- Remove the Size column and set marker size to 0.
- Open the Line Connection Tab and connect the markers using UWI/API.
All done! You can add another layer on top of this that just has well headers for you to select. These can be pie charts, markers, or features; configure any way you like.